Sunday, July 22, 2007

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

It's a known Sagittarius trait- but I have a tendency to unintentionally say the most inappropriate things--- at the worst times. I don't mean any harm, and my husband has gotten used to my "sixth sense" of inappropriate comments, that he now knows when to duck his head and feign ignorance. Case in point:

We had recently moved to San Diego, and were visiting a friend of Matt's from college. She had just gotten married- and Matt attended the wedding, but I did not (we were poor then, even poorer then now, if that is possible). After having dinner, she asked if I would like to see her wedding album. She opens the page, and it's a picture of the groom with his parents.

"Ooh! Let's see who Andrew (names changed to protect the innocent) looks more like- his Mom or Dad!" I say innocently.

"Marie", the bride shoots me a funny look and says, "Kristen- Andrew is adopted."

Next page in the album is a shot of the bride, standing next to an elderly gentleman who has his eyes turned heavenward. Marie tells me it's her grandpa.

"Hey! Look at that! What a beautiful photograph- your Grandpa is so overcome with emotion." I say.

Marie starts laughing and says "Kristen, my Grandpa is blind."

Next page is a group shot- looks like assorted family members. Of the 50 or so people in the picture, I zoom in on this one woman- standing near Marie's Mom.

"Hey, is that your aunt? She looks very nice."

Marie starts to look uncomfortable. "Kristen, didn't Matt tell you? My Mom came out of the closet when we were in college, and this is her partner, Judith."

After shooting my husband a look that silently said "How the HELL could you let me get into this situation?" we all moved on to dessert. I'm happy to report that we are still very good friends, but surprisingly enough- they have never asked me to look at an album again.

No comments: