Saturday, June 30, 2007

Who....Me?

Today, we took Annie to her gymnastics class. Matt and I were making casual conversation outside of the glass partition, while watching Annie fake her forward rolls and refuse to go on the parallel bars. (Her athletic ability must come from me). We were talking about our plans for the day- nothing too earth shattering, when a nearby Mom interrupts us.

"You guys are the nicest couple." She says.

Matt and I stop talking, and look at her quizzically.

"You both speak with such consideration of one another. I hope you don't mind, but I've been eavesdropping on your conversation. You're both so fresh, and into each other-- you don't look like a couple that's been married for a while."

Matt and I start laughing and he asks her, "Have you been drinking?" While at the same time I say "Can we record you saying this so I can have my Mother hear this?" We laugh the whole way home- and now Matt keeps calling me his pal.

The irony is- we never get compliments like this. Do we love each other? With every fiber of our beings. Am I happily married? You bet your cargo pants I am. But, we're the kind of couple folks keep around for comic relief--- we've known each other for so long, that sometimes, the niceties fall to the wayside. We are also EXTREMELY competitive, and our good friends refuse to play board games with us. (I remember some mumblings of discomfort after Matt and I screamed "Cheater! Cheater!" at each other during a friendly game of Hearts). Anywhoo- it was pretty hilarious to have this woman think we were Disney family personified... if only for a moment.

No comments: