Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy New Year

So, the year is ending and 2008 is almost upon us. I love how Elizabeth Gilbert refers to the new year as a net that stretches over us- a net filled with a year's worth of births, deaths, laughs, cries etc. It makes me think of this approaching year a bit differently. The older I get, the more I realize a new year can contain upcoming loss as well as joy. Kind of brooding for someone as chipper as myself, but when things are this good- it makes me nervous.


To lighten things up- I realize I've followed through with most of my 2007 resolutions.

I am working out more. I've suffered through pilates, yoga and the treadmill- and while I'm no skinny minnie- I'm thinner than I was, and definitely healthier. I won't say I love exercise, but I do now acknowledge that it makes me feel better. Ironically, my armpits and ankles did not get skinnier until I stopped lifting weights. I still haven't worked up the courage to go back to the class taught by the senior citizen Barbie. She scared the bejeezus out of me.

I shop with purpose. My closet used to be filled with nonsensical pieces that didn't relate to one another. It made getting dressed a huge upheaval, and left me in a crumpled, (naked) mess on my closet floor. No more. Now, when I shop- I do the whole shebang. I buy in outfits- which makes tons more sense. It's also rewarding- to see things through and find just the right shoes and accessories.

Which brings me to another point- I'm wearing more accessories. I discovered the jewelry section at Target, and haven't been the same since. I love their big, chunky necklaces- and when I get the occasional compliment, I love shocking people by gleefully yelling- "I got it at Target for $9.99!" I'm so classy.

I have regularly scheduled date nights with the hubby. We had a dry spell where we didn't go out as a couple for SIX months. And I wondered why I was drooling all over myself and speaking in tongues? It's not fancy- but it gives me a chance to put on some lipstick and pretend to be grown up.

Well 2007- you have been very good to us. You've kept my brother safe, given us a new little niece who is now almost 4 lbs!, kept our family healthy and strong and taught me the importance of accessorizing. Thanks 2007- it's been real. Please do me a favor and tell your buddy 2008 to take it easy on us.

No comments: