Monday, November 5, 2007

Truffles and Picnics?

I can't sleep. It's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm sitting here, wasting time, while my house slumbers. Lucy's been waking up again, and after a certain point, it's impossible for me to get back to sleep. My mind starts racing, and I think of stupid things- today it's all of the Christmas shopping I need to get done. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Matt's got a week of vacation coming up. We were trying to hightail it to Florida, but Disneyworld wanted $10,000 for a 3 day park stay, and then was sold out of everything we wanted to do unless we paid them another $2,000, so we scrapped that plan. Airfare to Cali was just too darn expensive, so we're saving our pennies for another rainy day. I asked Matt what he wanted to do on his week off, and he said:
"I don't know, take the girls to school, hang out at Cafe XYZ and just relax. Pretty much live your life for a week."
He then laughed hysterically, and I joined him for a minute before adding:
"You do know that it's not all truffles and picnics. Well, absolutely no truffles, because they are too fatty, and ok, we do tend to have a lot of picnics- but you get what I'm saying."

In other news, I'm thoroughly enjoying the book "Eat, Pray, Love." It's been on my radar screen for awhile, and after getting past the point that the author completely tears her life apart because she wants to avoid any semblance of what my own personal life looks like, it's actually a great story of how one finds personal growth. Lots of good nuggets of Cliff Clavin trivia too-- like where the Italian languange originated from (great story!) to what kind of person Bali describes you as if you are born on a Thursday. (When reading this part, it sounded so much like myself that I had to pull a calendar from 1972 and figure out that, yes, I was born on a Thursday). If I had a year to spend traveling solo to find myself, I'd spend 4 months in the Italian and French countryside- learning to cook and eat local favorites, then hightail it to an Indian Ashram (preferably the same one where the Beatles wrote Dear Prudence) and then cap off my stay on the big island of Hawaii. Of course, I'd want to bring my anklebiters with me and Matt to eat truffles and picnic with, which any self respecting Guru would frown upon.

1 comment:

mrsf5 said...

Oooh! Thoroughly enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love, although I had to muck through the intro a bit. (Was I that self-absorbed before becoming a mom? I suspect the answer is a resounding YES.)

But then she carried me away to Italy, and all was forgiven. So much so, in fact, that I ended up buying the audio version for my rarely-used iPod. It's kind of fun to hear it narrated in her voice; she reminds me of Catherine Keener.

Loving the title of this. Truffles and picnics: yep, that about sums up my daily life around here. It's just one nice long nap, really.