Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taco Mesa

There is this shack of a Mexican place in Newport Beach that serves up the best food you can imagine. We were introduced to this place in college- when Matt and I came to UC Irvine to visit a couple of high school friends that were going to school there. (One guy lived in a college sponsored trailer park of sorts- kind of like bohemian college living that had been overtaken by wild, fluffy rabbits). We've gone back to this place countless times. I've sat at a table outside, (always freezing, nevermind what time of year) and contemplated graduating from college, having them cater my wedding, eating one last meal before moving to New York, celebrating the end of Annie's first day at Disney. When I lived in Los Angeles, we would get a craving for this place and hightail it on the freeway at 10:00 at night. It's that good.

Now, we live 20 minutes away. We went there for dinner last night- and as always, I ordered some vegetarian nachos with cojita cheese and asked for some blackened shrimp to be thrown on top. I still forget to bring a sweater, and now I forget to bring one for my girls too. I always wonder if I'm sitting in the same exact chair as that girl from college did so many years ago. She'd be the one eating the nachos with shrimp.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have many of those same moments and places to eat when i visit home. It really makes you remember where you came from to get where you are.
-h