Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fairy Tales

Reconnecting with old friends has been one of the best parts of moving back to California. Last night, I solicited the help of an old college buddy to help me assemble 10,000 ladybug birthday invitations for my girls' upcoming shindig. I went to college with this buddy, and in most ways she hasn't changed.

We met in a Scandinavian Literature class at UCLA- and after studying together for a couple of afternoons, we were walking through campus together.

"You're a bit of a princess, aren't you?" I asked her.

"Excuse me?" she says, shooting me a dirty look.

"Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm one too!" I say.

"Oh, great!" she gushes. "I'm the biggest princess you'll ever meet."

And with that, our friendship began. This said friend, I should really mention, is drop dead gorgeous. She's six feet tall, her mother is from Norway, and whenever we went to Strattons (local UCLA bar) and I was low on cash and sadly in need of a drink, I would ask my friend to casually do a "bar lap" and walk around until someone sent her a drink. (which she then graciously passed to me). I never went thirsty for longer than 3 minutes.

Last night, my girlfriend came over, and my girls fought over who got to sit next to her at dinner. We giggled about how different our lives are, but how much fun we can still have together. She has a very high profile job- and was constructing a ten million dollar deal before she came over to our house. I was cleaning up dog pee. She carries an uber expensive designer handbag, and everything is perfectly organized. I carry a backpack that is crammed full of coupons, doctor receipts, miscellaneous toys and maybe a stray penny or two.

It's a cool friendship, because we get to live vicariously through one another. I get to hear all about her getting picked up on by a professional football player on a flight from Phoenix. She gets to help put my daughters to bed and hear what they are thankful for. And 14 years after that fateful Scandinavian Lit class, we are still princesses- with very different outcomes.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Awww thats a great relationship. I was one of the first to have kids in my group of friends, so i lived through them, but they live through me with all the moves. Thats what friends are for!
-h