Friday, May 23, 2008

Cheap Tricks

My new obsession is looking at foreclosed homes. I've always been a bargain Betty, so why not shop for a bargain house? Last night I found a listing that originally was going for $1.7 million. They tried to short-sell it, and sadly, the bank eventually wound up taking possession. The bank listed it at $1.3 million, and it sold for last week for just over a million. That's CRAZY. Sure, a couple of kitchen cabinets were off their hinges, and the toilets were probably filled with unseemly things, but still! Crazy.

It makes me sad to see pictures of foreclosed or short-sell homes that feature the kids rooms. These poor families got in way over their heads, and I wonder where they are all moving to? Would the house have bad mojo- like it knew it was a bargain and therefore would burn out all of your lightbulbs and the heat would never turn on right? But sheesh. With bargains like that, I'll flush some pottties and hang some cabinet doors. My husband disagrees- he thinks this is a waste of my time, that I'm living in lala land and he doesn't want to hear about it anymore. So stay tuned, this could get interesting.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I agree with you, houses in Cali worth over $1million or almost half that now. Great for the buyer but so sad for the seller.

-h